Sunday, March 27, 2011

All roads lead to rome

Rome.... the great ancient metropolis that has been the centre of the world for millenia! And here I am roaming the streets of modern day Rome (excuse the pun!). Rome seems to have more catchphrases than other citys.... "When in Rome... do as the Romans do", "All roads lead to Rome" and "Rome wasn't built in a day"... just to quote a few!

Anyways... what have I been up to recently? Well.... I really was lucky that even though I had a shitty experience with the theft and all, at least I met some amazing people in Florence... 2 girls in particular who really made my Florentine experience one that I shall not forget. I originally met these two chiks (Rachel and Sheila) at the Chabad dinner and we decided to go visit Pisa together....

The three of us jumped on a local train to Pisa. The city itself has nothing really to offer except of course for the world famous leaning tower. Imagine if that tower had never decided to lean over... noone would have heard of Pisa!! You have to walk about 15 minutes from the train station but it is definately worth it. The leaning tower is the bell tower of a beautiful and grand basillica plonked in middle of the so called "field of miracles". The cathedral is quite typical of tuscan architecture with an elaborate stucco facade. The tower is much smaller than I originally imagined! We decided that we must take the typical cliche photos of us holding up the tower.... It took us a good ten minutes to figure out the perfect shot!!! After that we lay on the grass in front of the church and chilled!

That evening I was invited to have dinner with the girls. After dinner they took me on a night tour around Florence which included a stop at the lucky pig (a bronze statue of a hog, which apparently brings good luck if you stick a coin in its mouth lol), another trip up to the Michelangelo lookout (which by the way is just as stunning at night) and finally a pitstop at the "secret bakery" (a bakery that opens late at night, only known to locals and students). On the way back home (this was like 3 in the morning!) we stopped outside the ornate Santa Croce cathedral - another fine example of Florentine architecture. I think by the time we actually went to sleep the sun was coming up!!!

The next morning, after not much sleep, I boarded a train to Rome. It was quite funny seeing all the "I heart Roma" tee shirts inside the train station (for those who don't know, I have a friend called Roma). My host is Rome is Gaia, who I became friends with in Wellington when she was or an exchange for her PhD. As I had some time to kill at the station, I headed down to the Colosseum - probably Rome's most well known icon. It is quite impressive, although for some reason it does not look as old as it actually is....

Gaia picked me up and I was greeted by her lovely family who served me delicious Roman-Jewish cuisine consisting of Artichoke and pasta!

The next day I had to sort out my Israeli passport issue... so off to the embassy. After trying to convince the security of my case, they finally let me in - however I could not take anything with me except documents. I entered into a security room where I had to go through a thorough check which included some Israeli security dude rubbing my entire body to check that I was not carrying anything dodgy! Jeez they are paranoid!!! I finally was allowed to go inside and after completing a couple of forms, I could receive a new temporary passport.

Walking back from the embassy I strolled through a huge park in the north of Rome, known as Villa Borghese. It is a great place to get away from the noise and chaos of the city - although the southwest end of the park is packed full of tourists riding bikes and segways and of course bangladeshi men trying to sell you junk that you dont really need! The park edges onto Piazza del Popolo, which from the top of the hill gives you a nice panoramic view of the city. You can see domes of churches popping up all over the place!

I continued to walk south through the Colonna district which is where you will find lots of high fashion stores, and high class shopping .... but more importantly here is where you will find some of Rome's most famous sites. First stop was the Spanish steps. This was hyped up way too much! They are just steps, nice steps.... but steps all the same! Below the steps is a funky sinking boat fountain and the steps themselves are packed full of tourists!

I continued right down to Piazza Venezia. This is an impressive site. The site houses a realitively modern monument that was built in honour of the first King of unified Italy. It is a really impressive monument, in gleaming white and housing an impressive array of bronze statues. You can walk up to the terrace of the monument for an impressive view over the city. (For a more impressive view you can pay to go to the very top - flag!)

In the afternoon I went to visit the area known as the Roman Forum and Palantine hill. Situated between the Colosseum and Piazza Venezia is a huge area which once was the epicentre of ancient Roman life. Today it lays in ruins, however the excavations have uncovered some fascinating temples, cardos (ancient markets), roman streets, arhces, pillars and even an almost complete sport stadium. I spent almost 3 hours walking through the ruins! Some of the site is extremelly important in terms of understanding Roman history including the house of Augustus, the great Roman emporer. For me the most interesting site, was that of the Arch of Titus. The arch has a clear depiction of the victory in Judea over the ancient Jews. It shows the soldiers returning from war carrying the spoils.... including the Menorah!

The next day I went back into the city to check out the Pantheon. This complex is over 2000 years old and once was a Roman temple to the gods. It was later converted into a cathedral and has had continious work done over the centuries. The famous renaisance artist Raphael was responsible for designing the dome, which is one of the most complex freestanding domes ever constructed! Inside is stunning, especially when you raise your head toward the dome! Interestingly there is a hole in the middle.... not sure what happens when it rains!!! Also inside is the grave of Raphael, who was given the priviledge of being buried here due to his contribution to the art world.

Just a few blocks away from the Pantheon is a large square called Piazza Navona. Circled by restaurants and cafes, the square hosts many street artists. Down from Navona is the Campo de Fiori which by day is a food market, and by night is an open air pub! It used to be the place where public executions were held!

Eastward is the famous Trevi fountain. One of the most stunning water works I have ever seen, it stands tall against a building in a tiny square. In front is a small crystal clear pool, where there is a traddition to throw money over your shoulder into the pool to ensure your return to Rome. The place was packed with tourists!!! And so many people throwing their money away.... apparently an average day racks up 3000 euros!!! I heard that this money is collected and then given to charity.

I returned to the Colosseum - this time to go inside. Following the circular path I climbed up through the galleries. It is quite interesting to see how the eliptical monunment was constructed, as the foundations are quite clear inside. You can also see what was constructed underneath the original stage - a series of rooms to hold the gladiators and animals. The colosseum has a series of information placcards and small museum displays to explain the story and put everything into context.

From the Colosseum I wandered down to the Great Synagogue of Rome. There is a Jewish museum but unfortunately I got there just as it closed. The shule stands tall and proud, and looks very similar to the many churches scattered throughout Rome due to its prominent dome.... however the lack of a cross gives it away. Next to the synagogue is the Tiber river, Romes equivalent of the London Thames, or Paris Seine. There is a small island in the middle of the river called Isola Tiberina, which contains a couple of churches, gelato shops and a small synagogue.

I had some time to kill that evening so I went for a casual stroll. The thing about Rome, is that everywhere you walk you will bump into some ancient ruin or grand cathedral. And that is exactly what happened.... just up from the shule are some old ancient ruins including the Portico D'Ottavia and a little further up are some ancient temples. These temples are interesting because today they are populated by stray cats! Across the road is a cat sanctuary and the strays get fed every day outside the temples.

At 8pm I walked down to the Trastevere district, one of the nightlife centres of Rome, for some drinks with the local couch surfing contingent. Gaia, and one of her friends from Milan joined us - and although drinks were expensive - good times were had by all!!!

I do have more to write because I am too tired and I have to get up early tomorrow to get to the Vatican I must leave my blog update here.... to be continued......

1 comment:

  1. yayyy we made it into your blog! i can check that off my list! btw its rachel :)

    ReplyDelete